While the University plans to maintain essential support services for students following a disaster, basic services such as electricity, gas, water, sewage treatment, and telephones may take time to be restored. A key element of personal preparedness is the creation of a disaster supplies kit. Having a few supplies on hand can make the wait for those services to be restored more tolerable.
Items for your emergency kit:
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Water (one gallon of water per person per day; unopened commercially bottled water is recommended)
- Non-perishable snacks (three-day supply)
- Prescription medications (three-day supply)
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask
- Copy of important documents, such as driver’s license and your family's emergency plan
- Moist towelettes
- Rain poncho or large garbage bag
There are many more resources online to help you build an emergency kit.