The University utilizes a robust emergency notification system to notify members of its community of imminent risk and what to do to stay safe in an emergency. UVA tests this system at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters, and during Summer Session II. The test begins with a "TEST ALERT" and concludes with a "TEST COMPLETE" message. The University notifies the UVA community and its neighbors in advance of each test.
Members of the general public can always opt-in to receive UVA emergency text alerts. See the UVA Alerts for the Public site.
What to Expect During the Test
At approximately 10:50 AM on the day of the test, a test alert message is deployed to these endpoints:
- Email – All current students, faculty, staff, and UVA Health Team Members with a valid UVA email account will automatically receive an email.
- Text Message -faculty, staff, and students will automatically receive a test text. Members of the public who sign up for UVA Alerts via SMS short code will also receive a text test.
- Guardian Safety App
- Twitter – @UVA_EM and @UVAPolice will tweet the test.
- Digital Screens + LED Screens – Screens in public areas and classrooms will display a test message.
- Online – Users on the UVA homepage or the UVA emergency homepage will see a test message.
- Desktop – Everyone who has installed Alertus software and is connected to the UVA network will see a test message. (Alertus is automatically installed on all classroom and UVA Health-imaged computers.)
- Siren and Public Address - The siren and public address system can be heard from many outdoor locations on and near Grounds.
- VOCERA Badge and App – Select VOCERA badges and phone applications in UVA Health will receive an alert test message.
At approximately 11 AM, a "TEST COMPLETE" message will be sent by the same channels.
For questions about UVA's emergency notification system, contact Emergency Management at [email protected] or 434-982-0565.
For questions about the UVA Medical Center emergency notification system, contact UVA Medical Center Emergency Management at [email protected] or 434-982-3196.