Long before the first flake falls, a team of University officials begins to monitor developing weather conditions. If forecasted inclement weather moves closer, the team homes in to assess the weather's likely impact on University's infrastructure and accessibility, including parking lots, sidewalks, and streets. This information helps guide institutional decisions regarding operation schedules with personal safety always as the top priority.
Here's what you should know about your reporting designation and how UVA communicates any changes to its Academic Division or UVA Health schedule.
How do employees know their emergency reporting status?
The University has assigned an emergency event status to all Academic Division and UVA Health employees: “designated” or “non-designated.” Even when classes are canceled, many core University services such as patient care, University Police, Facilities Management and IT operations, food services, and access to libraries and recreational facilities must continue. Designated employees report to work to provide these services.
- Academic Division: For information on how to find your emergency event designation, see https://hr.virginia.edu/time/emergency-event-status.
- UVA Health:Team members should refer to HR Policy 510, Emergency Event Declaration, and discuss questions with their supervisor.
How can the UVA community learn about schedule changes?
When the University modifies the schedule for academic operations, we communicate this through multiple channels as early as possible to give members of our community time to plan:
- An email to everyone with an active @virginia.edu address
- UVA Health sends an additional message to its team members with detailed information about clinical operations and team member reporting.
- Recorded message on the phone “hotlines” (434-243-7669 and 434-924-7669)
- Emergency Homepage
- Academic Division Operations Status Board
- UVA Health Status Board
- @UVA_EM on Twitter
- @UVAHSEM on Twitter
- LiveSafe Mobile Safety App
UVA Health team members should maintain communication with their Manager/Supervisor regarding modified operations.
Please direct any questions regarding inclement weather planning and emergency operations to:
- In the Academic Division: John DeSilva, Director of Emergency Management at email@example.com
- At UVA Health: Robert T. Truoccolo, Director of Emergency Management at firstname.lastname@example.org
Weather is unpredictable. Although the University uses the best available information, we know our employees come from a wide geographic area where road and weather conditions vary greatly. Employees are urged to base their travel decisions on their personal safety. Supervisors and faculty in the Academic Division have been asked to be flexible in granting leave to employees who feel it's not safe to travel, or who have other responsibilities – such as childcare or eldercare – impacted by weather.