All members of the University community with valid UVA email addresses are automatically enrolled in UVA Alerts to receive an emergency email when the University issues an alert. Students, faculty, and staff can manage their accounts at any time to register additional email addresses and mobile phone numbers for text-based alerts. This enhancement of UVA's Alert email is part of the University’s commitment to provide quick and accurate information to our community in an emergency.
UVA Alerts notifies subscribers via registered mobile phone numbers and email addresses when the University population faces imminent threat from a hazard. Since UVA Alerts requires a UVA computing ID, only students and employees can manage their accounts.
Adding Parent Contacts to Student Accounts
Students can easily add parent contacts to their accounts. See the instructions below on adding an additional mobile phone number and email addresses to the account.
Not sure you can receive text messages? Read the Prerequisites.
Need help with the sign-up form? Read the Adding or Removing Mobile Phone Numbers and Additional Email Addresses.
Did you validate your devices? Learn how to complete your registration by validating your devices.
Want to learn more about UVA Alerts? Read the Frequently Asked Questions.
- Your mobile phone must be capable of receiving text messages and your mobile phone service plan must support receiving them. If you are unsure, please check with your mobile phone service provider.
- You must have your mobile phone with you during signup. The registration process will require you to validate your account by entering a 4-digit validation code when you add your number. This 4-digit code will be sent to your mobile phone within seconds of adding a number.
- Go to the UVA Alerts login.
- On the Services page you will see a field for adding a mobile phone number and another field for adding email addresses. Remember that all the phone numbers and email addresses you submit will need to be validated (see step 2 below). If you do not finish the validation process, you will not receive emergency messages via text and the additional email addresses.
Once you have registered a mobile phone or email address, you must validate the information. If you are registering someone else, you must work with them to complete this step.
- Go to the UVA Alerts login.
- On the Services page you will see the status of the mobile phone numbers and email addresses you have submitted. If the status says Unvalidated, follow the instructions on the Web page to finish the validation process.
- When you are validating a mobile phone, a 4-digit number is sent to that mobile phone in the form of a text message. You will need to have that mobile phone available so that you can enter the 4-digit validation code. Upon doing this the mobile phone number will be validated. If you are certain that you have text messaging enabled but are not receiving the 4-digit validation number, then email your mobile phone number and the name of your service provider to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate you want to register in the UVA Alerts system. An Omnilert technical support representative will assist you with the registration process.
- When you are validating an email address, a link is sent to that address. When the link in the email message is clicked, that email address will be validated.
You can subscribe to various notification groups to receive notifications for specific locations.
- Go to the UVA Alerts login.
- On the Groups page click subscribe or unsubscribe next to the group you wish to subscribe to, or unsubscribe from.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can get UVA Alerts?
The UVA Alerts service notifies students, faculty and staff of an imminent threat on the University Grounds and/or the proximate areas. Since UVA Alerts requires a computing ID, parents and non-University affiliated persons cannot manage an account; however, students and employees can add additional contacts to their account.
Why should I sign up for UVA Alerts via text?
Accurate information about impending or actual threats or emergencies can help you make good decisions to stay safe. It is always good practice to sign up for redundant messaging. Text messages and emails will often get through in emergency situations even when phone calls will not. While the delivery time is dependent on your carrier processing the message, you will most likely receive these messages within seconds of transmission.
I only want to receive text Alerts. Can I opt out of email Alerts?
You can opt-in or opt-out of texts, but cannot opt-out of email. This is the University's way to ensure that all members of our community receive quick and accurate information in an emergency.
Will my mobile phone number be kept confidential?
Yes. UVA Alerts service mobile phone numbers are never shared or sold.
How many UVA Alerts text messages will I receive?
The exact number of UVA Alerts messages is difficult to predict, but the intention is to alert you only to emergency situations where there is an imminent threat to public safety. Occasionally, we will test the system, but will always notify you by email first.
What do I need to get UVA SMS Alerts and how much does it cost?
All you need is a UVA NetBadge account and a mobile phone with text messaging capabilities. There is no charge to subscribers for signing up. Individual mobile phone plans may apply normal charges for the text message. Landlines and some pay-as-you-go phones will not register on the UVA Alerts system. This is a limitation of the phone providers.
What if I change my mobile phone service provider or my mobile phone number?
When you change mobile phone providers it may take up to 30 days for the UVA Alerts system to be updated. During this time period, you may not receive alerts because the alerts are sent to the old mobile provider, which may not forward them. You may delete your number and then re-add it with the new carrier information to address this situation. If your mobile phone number changes, you will need to login to UVA Alerts and update your account information. From the Services page you can edit or delete existing phone numbers and email addresses.
How can I update my account?
Go to the UVA Alerts login and from the Services page, edit or delete existing phone numbers and email addresses.
What if I do not enter the 4-digit validation code?
If you do not enter the 4-digit validation code, you will not receive alerts. To receive alerts, you must login and complete the validation process.
What if I do not receive the 4-digit validation code?
If you do not receive the 4-digit validation code, contact your mobile phone service provider to verify that text capability is activated on your plan. If you have verified that text capability is activated on your plan, then contact email@example.com and provide them with your mobile phone number and service provider. Indicate you want to register in the UVA Alerts system. An Omnilert technical support representative will assist you with the validation process.
What will the UVA Alerts tell me?
A short text message will state the type of threat and indicate suggested action. Because the messages must be brief, there may be additional information on the University's emergency page (uvaemergency.virginia.edu).
An important reminder: The UVA Alerts text messaging service is just one of the methods the University will use to communicate emergency information. Emergency details and schedule changes will be posted on the University's emergency page at uvaemergency.virginia.edu. Alerts and information will also be tweeted on @UVA_EM, @HoosSafe and @UVAPolice. Local television and radio stations should also be relied on in severe weather situations.
Still need help? Please contact the UVA Help Desk.