In the event of an emergency, the University utilizes a robust emergency notification system to notify members of its community of the risk and what to do to stay safe. UVA tests this system three times each year: in the early weeks of the fall and spring semesters, and during Summer Session II.
The University notifies its community and neighbors in advance of each test. The test begins by deploying a TEST ALERT to all endpoints, and concludes approximately 10 minutes later with an "all clear" message.
Before the test, UVA faculty, staff and students can add their mobile number to their UVA Alert account to receive text alerts. The general public can also opt-in to receive text alerts. See the UVA Alerts for the Public site.
What to Expect During the Test
At approximately 10:50 AM on the day of the test, a test alert message is deployed to these endpoints:
- Email – All current students, faculty, staff, and UVA Health Team Members with a valid UVA email account will automatically receive an email.
- Text Message -faculty, staff, and students who have added their mobile number to their UVA Alert account will receive a text. Members of the public who sign up for UVA Alerts via SMS short code will also receive a text.
- Twitter – @UVA_EM and @UVAPolice will tweet the test.
- Digital Screens + LED Screens – Screens in public areas and classrooms will display a test message.
- Online – Users on the UVA homepage or the UVA emergency homepage will see a test message.
- Desktop – Everyone who has installed Alertus software and is connected to the UVA network will see a test message. (Alertus is automatically installed on all classroom and UVA Health-imaged computers.)
- Siren and Public Address - The siren and public address system can be heard from many outdoor locations on and near Grounds.
- VOCERA Badge and App – Select VOCERA badges and phone applications in UVA Health will receive an alert test message.
About 11:00 AM, an "all clear" message will be sent by the same channels.
For questions about UVA's emergency notification system, contact Emergency Management at UVAEM@virginia.edu or 434-982-0565.
For questions about the UVA Medical Center emergency notification system, contact UVA Medical Center Emergency Management at HealthSystemEM@virginia.edu or 434-982-3196.