Emergency Notification Endpoints
The University uses several communication endpoints to alert the community to an imminent threat. Some require UVA login via NetBadge:
- UVA Alerts: Notifies users via email and text messages. Emails are automatically sent to all faculty, staff, and students with a valid @virginia.edu account. To receive texts, students, faculty, and staff must register their mobile numbers at uvaemergency.virginia.edu/uva_alerts
- Desktop Alerts: This application displays an alert notification as a pop-up window or a ticker banner. The Alertus app is already installed on all UVA Health computers. UVA members can download at uvaemergency.virginia.edu/alertus-desktop
- Twitter: UVA Alerts are re tweeted to these Twitter handles: @UVA_EM, @UVAPolice, and @HoosSafe. Follow us to receive alerts and regular safety information.
- Monitors/TVs (LCD screens): Displays in common areas across Grounds.
- Emergency Notification Displays (LED clocks): Displays in large classrooms.
- The UVA Emergency Management homepage: Displays the alert.(virginia.edu/emergency)
- The University homepage: Displays the alert.(virginia.edu)
- The University Police homepage: Displays the alert (uvapolice.virginia.edu).
- Sirens: Indicates that there is an imminent threat to the University community. If you are outside and hear the siren and audible announcement, follow the announced instructions. If the audible announcement cannot be understood, immediately check your cell phone and email for a UVA Alerts message if you have a UVA login. Members of the public can go to the Emergency Management homepage for information and direction.
- Overhead Announcements: The UVA Contact Center may provide overhead announcements in some buildings within the UVA Medical Center. These announcements are identical to the alerts communicated via email, SMS text, LED screens, web pages, social media, and over sirens when they are activated.
While fire alarms are used to indicate imminent threat and alert persons of the need to immediately evacuate a building, they are not integrated with the UVA Alert endpoints