Emergency Notification Endpoints
The University uses several communication endpoints to alert the community to emergency situations:
- UVA Alerts: Notify users via email and SMS text messages if added to individual accounts when the University population faces an imminent threat. See https://uvaemergency.virginia.edu/uva_alerts
- Desktop Alerts: This application displays an alert notification as a pop-up window or a ticker banner. Download at https://uvaemergency.virginia.edu/alertus-desktop
- LiveSafe: Alert notifications appear on LiveSafe, UVA's mobile safety app, which is available to everyone to download and use. When UVA sends out an emergency alert, it will display on LiveSafe. Download LiveSafe at https://safetyandsecurity.virginia.edu/sites/safetyandsecurity/files/UVAFeaturefinalUpdated_may16.pdf
- Twitter: UVA Alerts are re tweeted to these Twitter handles: @UVA_EM, @UVAPolice, and @HoosSafe.
- Monitors/TVs (LCD screens): Displays in common areas across Grounds.
- Emergency Notification Displays (LED clocks): Displays the alert in large classrooms.
- The UVA Emergency Management homepage: Displays the alert.(www.virginia.edu/emergency)
- The University homepage: Displays the alert.(www.virginia.edu)
- The University Police homepage: Displays the alert.
- Sirens: Indicates that there is an imminent threat to the University community. If you are outside and hear the siren and audible announcement, follow the announced instructions. If the audible announcement cannot be understood, immediately check your cell phone and email for a UVA Alerts message, or go to the Emergency Homepage for information and direction.
- Overhead Announcements: The UVA Contact Center may provide overhead announcements within some buildings within the UVA Medical Center when an alert is sent. These announcements are the same as what is communicated via email, SMS text, LED screens, web pages, social media, and over sirens when they are activated.
- Fire Alarms: When activated, fire alarms indicate the need to evacuate a building immediately. These alarms are not integrated with the UVA Alert endpoints.