Be Prepared to Act
Knowing what to do in an emergency is critical to your safety. 10 Things to Know in an Emergency is a PowerPoint presentation used for student training.
- If you discover an emergency situation, call 911.
- Depending on the situation, evacuate or shelter-in-place. Absent official instructions, use best judgment.
- For your safest response, refer to the Emergency Procedures Poster.
- Make one phone call to let someone know you're okay, but do not use the telephone again unless it is a life-threatening emergency.
- Protect yourself first. Do not attempt to save property.
- Assist others, but do not exceed your training or knowledge.
- Follow instructions from authorities.
Are You Ready?
You can take the following steps now to minimize the impact of an emergency:
- Get a Kit - Gather personal emergency supplies in a portable container. Include unique items you may need, such as prescription medication.
- Make a Plan - Plan whom you will contact, what you will do, and where you will meet in different situations.
- Be Informed - Learn about the potential emergencies that could happen in the UVA community, the appropriate way to respond to them, and where to get up-to-date information.